Personal Branding on Social Media Do’s and Don’ts!
Social media has provided professionals with an encouraging environment to market themselves. Today more than ever, professionals must be aware of their digital footprint and image.
Our digital footprint is an extension of our personal brand, the image we project offline.
Furthermore, CEO coach Matt Sweetwood defines personal branding as “the practice of people marketing themselves and their careers as brands — the ongoing process of establishing a prescribed image or impression in the mind of others about an individual.”
A great example of successful personal branding is New York Times best-selling author, speaker, and internet personality, Gary Vaynerchuk. Funny enough, Gary just wrote an article titled 9 Strategies for Personal Branding Online in 2019. He explains that a brand is associated with an emotion, “Brand is about how someone feels in the moment when they interact with you or your business.”
This blog will start by identifying what a personal brand consists of, moving into the dos and don’ts of personal branding on social media.
Your personal brand consists of:
Personal Branding on Social Media Dos and Don’ts!
- Commit to a niche
- Set clear goals
- Share value
- Be intentional
- Get comfortable in front of the camera
- Integrate your brand into everything you post (content, voice, imagery)
- Make sure your profiles are consistent and appear professional (use the same handle, photo, bio, links)
- Establish accounts where your target audience hangs out
- Have a consistent posting schedule
- Join LinkedIn groups related to your expertise
- Follow your competition
- Mistake personal branding as a sales pitch
- Don’t focus on the number of followers you have; create engaging content and bring authenticity to followers.
- Only post about your product/service
- Overshare/spam your followers (quality over quantity!)
- Ignore comments/messages
- Overthink it!
We recommend starting your personal branding journey by assessing your current online personal brand. From there, identify your unique value proposition, set clear goals, and create a solid strategy.
Need help building your personal brand online? Reach out to us at https://2completion.com